MY PAGES

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How 'bout that weather?

When I first moved to a farm just outside of Charlottesville, Virginia in 2002, I was immediately struck by several things. Coming directly from a year in New York City and four in Los Angeles, I was blown away that the farm's main "hand," a lifelong Virginian who must have been in his 70s, said hello with a nod and a hand wave every single time we passed in a day; the local grocer/sandwich shop took checks; and, the weather was a valid and frequent topic of conversation.

After nearly a decade of living in places where snow didn't really happen and one rarely needed to check the weather to decide what to wear (I lived in the Phoenix area for 4 years prior to moving to Los Angeles for university), weather just wasn't something I thought of as an actual conversation piece. And in New York, the weather just never really seemed relevant - maybe because so much of life centers around the built environment rather than the natural one? - maybe because it just wasn't "cool" to make this sort of small talk? I don't really know either way, but I was utterly startled by the degree to which, in Virginia, I talked about the weather.

And now, living in Colorado, a place where the weather is rarely predictable - I mean, we can get 70 degrees and sunny skies in February and a snowstorm in June - I find that, once again, I talk about the weather all the time.

January 2013

May 2013

We have had relentless wind for about a week now, and I noticed that in the last few days especially, the weather - specifically, the wind - has been central to most of my casual interactions with people. I ran into a neighbor while walking the dog this morning and after a quick exchange about his upcoming yard sale, we parted ways, ending our conversation with, "I'm about ready for this wind to quit." "No kidding! I've had about enough." I had a similar conversation with my yoga instructor yesterday and more in depth versions with several friends. The wind is making us all feel a little nuts, so perhaps it's especially relevant. But I think it's fair to say, the weather in Colorado always seems important.

And that's where I've begun to ask myself some questions. Why is that in some parts of the world, in some parts of the country, weather is such an acceptable - and genuine feeling - topic of conversation, while in others it's simply not? In essence, my experiences and observations of others' tell me there are a couple of overlapping factors that may make weather an appropriate conversation topic: first, the actual weather in the place (i.e., is it quickly changing, does it come with extra challenges such as snow, etc.); second, the degree to which people's day-to-day activities involve being outside in the weather.

So, a few examples:

CONSISTENTLY GOOD, BUT UNEVENTFUL, WEATHER + OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES = DON'T TALK ABOUT THE WEATHER
In places like Los Angeles, at least when I lived there, weather is pretty much always nice. It's almost like living in climate control. That the weather will be good is virtually a given, so even if you engage in a lot of outdoor activities, you just don't think about the weather. Arizona was much like this when I lived there, as well. I know people bitch about the heat, but in my experience, that's mostly people who don't live there. We rode horses year round in an uncovered outdoor arena. In the summer we rode early in the morning. When it rained maybe we didn't ride for a couple of days. But when it came to day to day living, the weather just wasn't ever worth talking about.

4-SEASONS, PLENTY OF BAD WEATHER + SUPER URBAN = DON'T TALK ABOUT THE WEATHER
My dear friend, M, simply despises all talk about the weather, and I've always associated this with the fact that talking about the weather is decidedly uncouth while M is pretty much one of the "cool" folks. Cool people, urban people, just don't talk about the weather. It's a form of small talk left to those of us considered "bumpkins" (I am totally included in this categorization, by the way!). But in the last several years, I've noticed M starting to talk about the weather, and not in a mocking or ironic way. Rather, he genuinely gives a shit about it. He's also been engaging in a lot more outdoor activities - he has a dog now and hikes more than he ever did in the past - and has been moving regularly between the urban center of NYC (where we moved together over a decade ago), upstate New York, the pacific northwest, and southern California. Perhaps what I once attributed to cultural valuing actually has more to do with lifestyle; perhaps weather doesn't seem important when most of our time is spent indoors, when we can move about through subway tunnels, in and out of air-conditioned cabs and restaurants and workplaces, when we're moving about a city with a complete immersion in its built spaces.

SEASONS, PLENTY OF GOOD & BAD WEATHER + OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES = LOTS OF TALK ABOUT WEATHER
As I alluded to above, I found myself really starting to talk and think an awful lot about weather in smaller communities that experience regular and irregular changes in weather (Charlottesville, VA; Streitdorf, Austria; Fort Collins, CO). It just so happens that in these places my life has also heavily centered around the outdoors. In Virginia and Austria I worked on horse farms. In Colorado...well, in Colorado I think all of our lives center around the outdoors to some extent. I ride horses and rock climb and walk my dog. Many of the people I know think nothing of riding their bikes year round, commuting anywhere from 5-15 each way in well-below-freezing temperatures, high winds, and blizzards. Life for these folks is perhaps not disrupted by the weather, but it's sure affected by it. For me, a very vocal hater of winter, life is seriously unsettled. While, in the summer my daily activities get me outside for 6 hours a day or more, in the winter I must transition some of these activities into indoor activities (e.g., I climb at a gym or ride in an indoor arena), usually bitterly. Not a cold weather person, I find winter incredibly disruptive. Just as a heat-hating climber/hiker/mountain biker may find Arizona's summers disruptive as they move them indoors or force them to readjust their ideal schedule. But that's the thing with Colorado; it seems like everybody is outside all the time if they can be, so weather is of considerable importance and relevance to our lives.

So maybe, at the end of the day, these tendencies to talk about the weather or not, the definition of such talk as unintellectual or irrelevant small talk, have less to do with some abstracted notion of a "cultural norm" and more to do with the realities of each of our day-to-day realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment