MY PAGES

Saturday, September 27, 2014

My evolution of home

Anthropology has a long history of studying the cultural traits of people who have forged their way in a particular setting. Especially in the older texts, it's not uncommon to find work on "hill tribes" or "desert nomads," groups - and perhaps people - who are largely defined, to scholars anyway, by the landscapes they inhabit. These things shape the ways people eat, dress, build, etc. 

I like to say I grew up in a barn. After all, the smells of horses and hay and leather and oil, rather than a particular place, have always been my comfort. Some might argue this is because they were my main constants as a child. 
 
Fairly mobile during my youth, even when we stayed in the same region, my family switched neighborhoods, houses, and cities often enough that I changed school districts and friend groups and rarely if ever grew attached to a house. After my parents' divorce and my mom's remarriage, we moved out of state and eventually across the country so that I shuffled between households based on the school schedule. My childhood, in this way at least, was a far cry from my husband's - his parents still live in the house in which he grew up. And as such, I've always had a slightly different concept of "home," one that's left me full of wanderlust as an adult. The two sides to this are of course a restless independence and an unsettled searching. 

As I've grown older, settled down in love and life and place a bit, I've come to appreciate the topography of a home in a way I never did before. The deserts of the American West have long held a special place in my heart: I adore the open spaces and the sparse, delicate, often thorny, vegetation. But only recently have I found something that softens me as only home can: the mountains. I'm not really a mountain girl in general. I will ski but I don't crave it, I can't stand winter and don't especially like snow, I prefer flat hikes through wide open valleys over hilly ones aimed at a vista. But being in the midst of mountains, in their proximity, in their foothills, does the trick, letting me exhale that noisy breath of true relief. Much like my friends who feel restless, even anxious, away from the ocean, I've come to feel this way when away from mountains.  


I began to appreciate this connection just months ago, after leaving my heart in the hills around Chiang Mai, Thailand for the more famous climbing in the beautiful beaches of the Andaman coast. And again, just days ago, as my plane left the bustle of Delhi and grazed the Himalayan foothills before touching down in Northern India's Dehradun, and along the winding roads that led deeper into the foothills, to Rishikesh. There is still chaos, though on a much smaller scale, but it's the air that is different here, and it goes beyond pollution. 

What I find is that I am different amidst it all, tucked into the hills. And while my home will always, first and foremost, be with my little family, wherever we are, it seems that now that may need to stick to the mountains. 

If I turn myself back into an anthropologist, I can't help but wonder: if a topography can shape an entire culture, what must it be able to do to a little person? What, I wonder, has Colorado, and all those high desert valleys and cliff bands, and its wide open skies and expressive clouds, done to me? 


No comments:

Post a Comment